Sunday, March 1, 2015

What I'm Lacking... And Need to Sort Out for Extreme Winter Weather Emergencies....

So after my first test of my "Get Home Bag"I've realized I have a few items which I am in need of to make life a bit more bearable in snow at low temperatures on a long walk home due to a disabled vehicle...

First, I am in need of better shoes and socks. I've got a few things in mind and perhaps in the coming week the sock issue will be settled.

The boots will have to wait a bit for now. But I have considered a pair of fairly compact snow shoes to help with the walking in snow. Not sure if that will materialized, but we shall see.

Right now I can carry 1.66 litres of water. Not nearly enough for an extended time out in the weather with a long walk home. My solution should be a 3 litre camelback, but I may have to resort to something a bit less expensive in the form of 1 litre water bottles. For now I plan to load the car with enough store bought water in 16oz water bottles to cover my needs. Even if frozen, I should be able to cut them open with a multi-tool and thaw them out 16oz at a time over a small cooker. I thought about simply putting a gallon jug of water in the trunk, but frozen, that is simply too much water to try to thaw out in any reasonable way.

I can't deny that keeping your neck warm in the cold windy weather is very important. Wearing a turtle neck solves that problem, but I don't wear them to work, so I need another solution to keeping my neck warm. I plan to do this with a headover. Basically a tube of material which is pulled over the head. It can function like the neck of a turtleneck shirt, but is also long enough to cover your ears and even your head if needed. Simple and compact, I plan to add this to my kit shortly.

I also need to add a small cooker to my kit. Having dealt with liquid fuel based stoves in the past I am looking for something a bit smaller. Right now my plans are to find a small solid fuel cooker and an aluminum mess tin which will allow me to thaw out 16oz of water at a time, boil water for tea or soup and heat a meal. More to follow on these items as I find them.

So, hopefully with these few additions, I should be more than prepared for the worst winter can throw at me if stuck at work, or disabled by bad weather on the way home.

All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment